Let’s talk about the Five Homebuying Myths seen on HGTV – Shows like Love it or List It, Flip or Flop, and Fixer Upper are just some of the great shows you see on HGTV. Sometimes you get a glimpse of what purchasing and renovating looks like, but more often than not, these shows make things look easy. Way too easy! It’s much more work and heartache than portrayed on TV and anyone who has done it, can tell you the truth. Here are some of the myths often portrayed.
- Your house must have all the latest updates and the best finishes. In reality, the house you buy doesn’t have to be in perfect condition! The location matters the most.
- You will complete renovations on time and under budget – Not even close! Always plan on 30% additional in cost and 50% additional in lenght of time.
- Your realtor is just there to open the door. Boy, is that wrong. We are so busy behind the scenes juggling communications, legal documents, title company work, and we keep tabs on everything while making it look easy. Trust me, it’s not!
- Buyers are not as naive as TV would lead you to believe. Buyers are pretty savvy these days and do tons of research before taking the first step in buying or renovating their homes.
- You only need to look at about 3 houses to find the perfect home. Don’t we all wish that were true! It sometimes takes weeks or months before finding the home you want.
Do you have any other homebuying myths you’ve seen on HGTV that you’d like to tell me about? Sound off in the comments!
If you’d like to watch more of my videos, check out my YouTube channel!